Monday, June 15, 2015

Dirty Games

The whole week after having the ladies over to our house, I was on cloud nine. I would be busy doing dishes and I would just stop and reflect on Saturday as if it was happening all over again. I would get overwhelmed and shake my head... rhetorically asking myself, “How did this happen?”

I’m just in awe and so grateful to be here and part of this.

Since Saturday I’ve had some visitors, most are just passing by with a hello and some form of my name. But the other day two women, LaHoova and Rizza, came to say hello. It’s hard, even for Nunu, to communicate without Latino, but we talk as we are able to. They commented on my sunburn and pointed out that my white skin is my American skin and my red skin is my Mozambican skin… I get a good laugh out of this and agree… they are absolutely right.

As Saturday arrived, we headed out for our 10 minute walk to the closest part of the village. Nunu had an idea where LaHoova lived so we went in that direction.

One of the things that is very different about life here in Moz, is that more often than not people are outside their house. People cook and do laundry outside and the rest of the time you just sit and talk with neighbors. It’s similar to the idea of sitting on your front porch all day. For Nunu coming to the States the first time, this was the thing that was so shocking to him… no one sat outside talking to neighbors.

Anyway, we eventually came across a group of kids. They were spread out over an open area all playing different games or just talking with each other… doing kid things. As we walked up, everything instantly stopped. Crickets… you could hear cricket.

A moment later they were all following us down the street, some saying my name. Others running to get younger siblings to see if the sight of a white person would make them cry. We didn’t have to walk much farther though as LaHoova’s house was the first one past the open area.

We said hello and found out that Rizza wasn’t around today because she was at a funeral. Latino and I sat in chairs while Nunu was off to the side talking to someone he knew. As we sat down all the kids closed in around us. My hopes of trying to “talk” to LaHoova went right out the window. The kids were so curious and so loud, I could hardly hear Latino who was sitting right in front of me. I said to him, “I can’t wait till the day that I’m just Amanda.” But for today, let the kids be curious, steal touches and laugh at whatever about me or the situation they find funny.
Kids gathered around Latino and me. 

Latino pictured with the kids!
As I sit there, LaHoova keeps on trying to have me say things and I do my best over the noise. I find out that her husband died in the last year or so but she has remarried. She also has a couple of her grandchildren living with her, which is very common.

Inside I laugh each time I feel a hand quickly swipe over my foot or ankle, as if the movement was so fast the kids think that I didn’t just feel that. The day was hot and with curly hair I end up with ringlets at the nape of my neck. My favorite is when the kids gently pull on those, it’s relaxing and sends shivers down my spine. I was imagining a couple girls behind me with almond shaped eyes, big white smiles and small braids in their hair, but I didn’t want to turn around right away; I thought they would take that as a sign they did something wrong. So I waited a little and slowly turned. You can imagine the surprise when I turned to find it was a couple of boys playing with my hair.

After having 20 or so kids just stare at me for about as many minutes, I asked Latino if he could try to play a game with the kids. Just then Nunu was making his way back to us and so they got most of the kids back to the playing area and I got to breathe and just sit with LaHoova and a few others.

LaHoova, curious about my bug bites.
All  of a sudden I look over and see Nunu having all the kids sitting on the ground, one behind the next, holding on to each other with the first (or last) child holding on to a light post. Not really sure what is going on, anyone who isn’t lined up is now watching. Nunu starts at the back of the line pulling kids off sometimes getting one loose and other times three. I gather the point of this game is just to see if the adult can pull all the kids off of the post.

On the right the first kid is holding the post. 
Some familiar faces, these kids stop by the house at least
once a week.
I’m watching all these little faces light up. They find this so funny and entertaining. I laugh as I watch Nunu closely; he too is beaming and completely in his zone. I laugh even harder when I realized that he tickles the kids as he is trying to pull them off. The game is SO funny to watch, it’s amazing that something so simple can bring so much joy.

Nunu pulling some kids off the line!
As he gets to the end, the boys there try so, so, so hard not to let go of each other or the post. But eventually Nunu wins out! Raoul is a little boy who comes by our house a few days each week. Nunu really likes him, so he tells Raoul to grab the post and hold on tight while Nunu pretends to try his hardest to pull him off, eventually getting him off. But the game isn’t over, now Nunu is sitting on the ground holding the post and all the kids are grabbing onto him trying to pull him off.

Last kid standing...
I just love his look of determination!
Game over!
What game is complete without a few high fives!?
Raoul's turn!
I just love this picture, nice view Latino!
Nunu telling Raoul to hold on tight!
Just love those smiles.
Nunu's turn! 
So much fun!!!

It’s like time stops. I sit there looking at my husband, who is now covered in second hand dirt. I see him doing what he is so good at doing, which is loving people exactly where they are, dirt and all. I see him playing a game that will likely hurt a bit tomorrow but doing it because it brings a smile to a child’s face. I just see Nunu, as God created him to be and I think how lucky I am to be married to him and to have the kind of “job” where I get to see my husband at his best. I look at him and he is smiling from ear to ear and I don’t doubt that there will be many more dirty games with children in our future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment